Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program

The VITA Program offers free tax help to low- to moderate-income (generally, $65,000 for individuals, $95,000 for couples and below) people who cannot prepare their own tax returns. Certified volunteers sponsored by various organizations receive training to help prepare basic tax returns in communities across the country. VITA sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls, and other convenient locations. Most locations also offer free electronic filing.

Items to bring to the VITA/TCE

site to have your tax return prepared

· Proof of identification

· Proof of medical insurance coverage

· Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration

· Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents

· Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN

· Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return

· Wage and earning Individual Taxpayer statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers

· Interest an d dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)

· A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available

· Bank routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit

· Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number)

· To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.

· It is extremely important that each person use the correct Social Security Number. The most accurate information is usually located on your original Social Security card.  Each year hundreds of thousands of returns are delayed in processing, or credit/deductions are disallowed because names and Social Security Numbers do not match Social Security Administration records.  To prevent processing delays in paper returns and rejected electronically filed returns, volunteers check the accuracy of each Social Security Number, as well as the spelling of the name associated with the number.  If you do not have an SSN for you or a dependent, you should complete Form SS-5, Social Security Number Application.  This form should be submitted to the nearest Social Security Administration Office.

· If you or your dependent is not eligible to get a Social Security Number, you may need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).